Submarine pipe line (Hong Kong Special Administrative Region)
Submarine pipeline project for Water Supplies Department, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Bottom) Pipe jointing and launching barge bottom pull laying works
This project is the construction of the water supply main pipeline from the Kowloon Peninsula to Hong Kong Island. It consists of 2.1 km of submarine piping and 1.7 km and 0.4km on-land piping for Kowloon and the Hong Kong Island shore side, respectively.
JFE Engineering was involved in the concrete weight coating on the external surface of the steel pipe joints, the laying and the cathodic protection of the submarine pipeline.
The pipeline on the seabed was laid by the bottom pulling method as follows:
(1) Moor the work barge equipped with the pipe line-up, welding, inspection facilities and launching platform on the Kowloon side;
(2) Install the pulling winch (linear type winch with a capacity of 150 M tons) on the Hong Kong Island side;
(3) Lay the pulling wire for towing the pipeline on the seabed along the designated route;
(4) Weld each 12-meter-long pipe joint on the work barge and inspect them using radiography; Apply anti-corrosion coating at the welding joints;
(5) Launch and tow the welded pipes from the work barge to the seabed by winching of pulling wire; and
(6) Repeat operations (4) and (5) above in intervals of 12 meters until the top of the pipeline reaches the Hong Kong Island side.
|Hong Kong Special Administrative Region